Most people like to make meditation into this complicated activity. I like to keep things simple. Below are 5 simple steps to get you started on meditation.
1. Eliminate Distractions. The first thing you want to do is make sure that no one is going to bother you while you are meditating
2. Determine how long to meditate. I recommend you spend 5 minutes a day to meditate if you are a beginner. Even 5 minutes every day will show some tangible benefits in your life. If you have been meditating for a few months you can try to bump it up to 15 minutes or 30 minutes once or twice a day. Remember, it is not the quantity of time but the quality of time that counts in meditation.
3. Relax. For some that might mean doing some aerobic exercise before meditating. For others it means taking a nice shower or bath. Stretching before you start will also help you relax and be more comfortable while you are meditating.
4. Get Comfortable. Once you’ve relaxed your body, it’s time to find a place for you to sit. You can sit in whatever way you want, just make sure your spine is straight and you are comfortable. Always meditate with your back straight, which has a positive effect on the flow of mental energy through the body. In addition, an alert body makes for an alert mind.
5. Focus. Your mind will want to make this more complicated than it is, so be prepared for that. Once you’ve settled in, pick one thing to focus on, such as your breath, a mantra, a candle flame or whatever feels appropriate to you. It doesn’t really matter what it is. Focusing on one thing is easy and an excellent place to start.