Does it feel like your life is lacking something? This feeling of unworthiness can occur for a variety of reasons. From dissatisfaction over personal appearance to the loneliness of a stay-at-home parent who miss working in an office, the focus of life can quickly become our shortcomings instead of our successes. These shortcomings lead to fears and these fears ultimately lead to a life that is connected through misery instead of joy.
One of the most effective ways to correct your mind is to begin the practice of meditation. Meditation has the ability to profoundly change a life in a number of ways, even if today is the very first time you give it a go. Here’s how:
1. Meditation gives you a fresh start. When you’re having a difficult time, taking a few minutes out of your day to meditate is like hitting the restart button on your computer. All of these glitches and delays that are slowing you down go away and what you’re left with is the clean slate of the restart. Whether that happens when you first wake up, when you’re trying to go to bed, or during a break at work, it is important to know that a fresh start can be had at any time.
2. Meditation gives you better positivity. There are a wide variety of meditative styles, but they all lead to one final conclusion: a more positive outlook on life. The core of this positive experience comes from removing the barriers that resentment and negativity build up to replace them with open spaces filled with love, joy, and peace. Can’t tear down those walls just yet? That’s fine – meditation can help you build a bridge of love over those walls until they can come down.
3. Meditation brings forth discipline. Self-control is always important just for the fact that we keep ourselves in line. Eating desserts instead of a healthy snack is always the wanted option, but self-control lets us realize that a healthy snack is more of what we need and then provides joy in the experience of being healthy. There’s no longer a need to pretend or be something that you’re not. You simply become who you really are through meditation.
4. Meditation reduces anxiety. When you’re struggling with fear, no matter the reason for the fear, then you’re ultimately going to have anxiety as a side effect. This is because of the flight-or-fight response that is naturally engrained into our genetics as human beings. The anxiety triggers the response and the response is what gets us into trouble at times. By reducing the fear and negative perceptions, anxiety will naturally decrease as a result.
5. Meditation provides you with better self-insight. One of the most difficult tasks in the practice of meditation is to get to know your authentic self. When a lie is lived long enough, it begins to be believed on the very core level of one’s mind, but not by the authentic self. Meditation removes the disconnect and helps you create happiness through a soul that might be more exposed, but also truly honest and open about the further possibilities of life.
The best news of all is that meditation can be easily added into any lifestyle. You don’t need to dedicate an hour of time! You just need a few minutes, a quiet space, and the chance to be alone. From there, simply push away the negative thoughts and fears that are holding you back and you’ll be able to begin finding joy in each experience.