We have people come to our meditation classes because of insomnia. As you know most Americans are chronically sleep-deprived. This affects our physical, emotional and mental well-being. A good night’s sleep can do wonders for you. Here are 7 of my favorite tips to get a restful night’s sleep:
1. Make your bedroom as dark and as quiet as possible. The darkness is particularly important for the production of melatonin, the hormone that regulates sleep.
2. Turn off the television and computer at least 45 minutes before you go to bed.
3. Try a cup of chamomile tea before bedtime to help with relaxation.
4. Invest in a quality mattress that supports your back in a way that isn’t too hard or too soft. The right bed and the right pillow are critical for a good night’s sleep.
5. Make the bedroom a sanctuary. Make your bed and keep the surroundings neat, clean and comfortable so it becomes a place you look forward to.
6. Establish a sleep pattern in which you try to get sleep at the same time each night and wake up at the same time every morning.
7. Regular exercise that includes strength training (aka lifting weights) will help normalize sleep.